Saturday 20 September 2014

Design, Build, Live Rammed earth.







My name is Nyomi Rowsell. I am writing this blog to keep everyone and anyone up to date. Some may be across the other side of the world, in the UK where my original home is. There is definitely a divide and ridiculous contrast to my life and home here in Malawi. I chose this life as I wanted to investigate an original path, close to nature and people, which for me provides beauty.  I travelled by bike from Cairo to Cape Town some years back now and was most excited by the kindness and energy of people in Uganda and Malawi. 


For those of you reading this from this serene continent, Africa you will already understand the warm golden colours of light and landscapes folding out between the clusters of tight communities.  I have only been in Malawi for one year. I want to stay.

Apon recently returning to the UK I had a problem:  modernity had crept into my incredible new life. I found it difficult to justly describe this  new life as Nangondo, My Malawi name was given to me by the chief of the village, Nangondo.

  • ·         I live in rural remote North West Lilongwe
  • ·         I am the architect for Landirani Training Village, Sams Village


I hope this blog will provide:

  • ·         A mixture of shocking events that people could never comprehend in the UK
  • ·         A story of my routine to provide excitement as I compare it to UK life
  • ·         Architectural progress on The Landirani Trust Training Village, Sams Village 


As I described events to my friends and family back in the UK I was taken aback with the interest while they were frustrated by what I saw as minor details. It occurred to me that I had been scribbling some project notes while travelling through the rolling beautiful Malawian scenery between Lilongwe Town to the village, after all this was my common commute. My lifestyle has changed from UK and to address this gulf in comprehension I bring you Design, Build, Live Rammed earth.



1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your work and I will follow your blog with great interest. Are the plastic bottles I see in one of the photos above from the ones that were collected in our bath? Can you tag the photos so it is clear which buildings they are?

    ReplyDelete