Sunday 12 October 2014

An introduction to Malawi





80% of the Malawian population live in the rural areas (2010) where they are completely off the grid with no electricity and water. Luckily boreholes have been constructed but people must walk and carry water to their homes which is often uncomfortably far away.

In the first few weeks in Malawi I experienced the rural life of which I am now used to. People enjoyed what they had: constantly joked & laughed about their friends or what planes were going over ahead even though they had never stepped in one. My new family and I were situated 7km from the airport and I tell you now it was still much quieter than the 10km from the airport from Heathrow to the small town of Virginia Water where I was brought up. Virginia Water was definitely a small town and not a village as I compared it to my village called Sam’s Village in Chigonthi. Mteza school, opposite Sam’s village has a school of 1000 pupils and 7 teachers. It does have electricity so this is classed as one of the better schools in the rural districts! The village has a U.S. aid milk factory, tea rooms, several general grocery stores, a grain mill powered by a generator, a few street chips stores, a small market selling fresh veg grown in the surrounding fields and a goat hung up on a tree (fresh meat butchers!). From the one main country road in Chigonthi suburbs sprawl and house around 200 people in total. 


Even though it is considerably small right through the center there is a main road (dusty bumpy path for almost 2 cars) that feeds traffic from the North M1 road from Lilongwe to the North West region, Dowa District. The road transports tobacco, maize and other items that people sell at the local market using lorries or ox and carts. There are a few cars but generally millions of bicycles that cycle into Lilongwe fully loaded with goods to sell in town.  Between the village and Lilongwe town lies Kanengo which is where all the tobacco is auctioned for some money. People prefer to grow the cash crop tobacco as maize and other staple foods don’t sell for as much money. Although people need a license to grow tobacco so the government controls how much profit people can make. 80% of Malawian citizens work in agriculture. 

 

Village life was full of celebrations: 5 funerals and 7 weddings in one week. It was the dry season but still this completely reiterated how fast life was here. The average life expectancy here is the age of 55.

Whatever age, the water borehole is a special place where everyone congregates. Small kids will carry full buckets of water on their head to their homes. People will clean themselves, get water to drink or fill buckets. The ladies sometimes entertain themselves with song and dance, moving in full swing on the hips. The foot stepping dwindles back and forth. Some dances seem simple enough, they love teaching me their traditional dances.

 

I remember one weekend I stepped out of the village and went to a BBQ which was full of expats and generally quite strange so from then on I decided to stay in the village for the next 3 months. Village life was great but certain culture clashes were noted. After a few months I started spending more time in town. It took me a while to get used to the changes, people with lots of money, the drinking culture and ease of a house with electricity, taps and gas. Now I am familiar with both rural and urban settings and my personality suits me to jump in and out of both areas. The rural area is energetic and refreshing after a long weekend in town and vice versa. Town is a place I can have my own personal space after the hectic week of work. I have made both of these areas my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment