Thursday 3 September 2015

2 weeks triumph, mums arrival and departure




Me and mum sitting on top of Zomba Plateau at Queens View
 Mums dutch directness, comments and general thoughts on anything will always blow me away. I instantly took her to my friend’s slightly better more upmarket house for dinner as I knew she would be a bit shocked to see my room and outdoor facilities.

My room has mum in the doorway
The long list of questions shot and flew around the room considering she had been on a tiresome long haul flight from England. It was all very humorous, she threw comments like:
‘Wow, you have electricity in your home’ which confirmed her inner thoughts about Malawi.
I understood she was on holiday but similarly knew it would be a good change for her to see the communities, hard work, happiness and achievements. We went to the 2 building sites within the Landirani Trust and she observed the work while I made her shake hands with every single person on site. This was the general Malawian greeting and living in Malawi I soon learnt how important it was to say hello to each individual and ask them:
Mulli bwanji? How are you?
Ndilli bwino kuyinu? I am fine how are you?
Ndilli bwino. Zikomo. I am fine, thank you.    It seem’s very repetitive when you start but as time goes on you realise the significant importance. After greetings you then start the day’s work, checking the activities of people, making sure experienced people were teaching younger people and moving some people around to make certain priority jobs faster.
Our first stop was building a rammed earth office in Njewa.

Adobe bag guard house

 Nothing was ever going to be normal that day, many spontaneous things happen all the time in Malawi but these actions were definitely exceptional. The spiritual tribal characters of the gulu wankulus were running up the road. Fully clothed with different rags I thought it best to take a picture as a memory for my mum.
Gulu wankulu's

They saw us taking the photo and immediately surrounded our car and banged on the windows for money. I had never once been in this situation in my whole 2 years living in the chichewa central region where there were large numbers of gulu wankulus. Some say they are: spiritual ancestors that rise from the dead. Others have described them as a tribe that forms in the woods for boys to assemble and celebrate the turning from youth to teenage years.
The literal translation of gulu wankulu means a big dance. Any ceremony in the village will collect these gulu wankulus’ to perform at the wedding, funeral or child to adulthood celebration. People will dance with a mask to hide their identity.
The different jobs on site and mums interest to help pump water into the ladies buckets at the borehole ended in chaos as a typhoon swarmed across the village behind the site.

Everyone collects at the water borehole

Typhoon sweeping the village
 It built up in strength and the thatch from people’s rooves was seen in the air. The ladies at the borehole were shrieking in one tone raising their arms in an act to try and calm the storm. The wind had destroyed 5 houses in this 1 village where all of our workers lived.
After reiterating some main pointers about the adobe earth building we left for the next Landirani project 8km from the Lilongwe Kamuzu International airport. More greetings and new faces came into contact. Mum struggled with the greeting phrase after greeting more than 36 people that day. I faced facts Chichewa was not such an easy language for beginners!
Workshop filled with frames ready for current our current builds
 The holiday then began. We hired a car to allow us to go and investigate Malawi. I had never seen far south so this was my opportunity to take mum to places I had never been. Our first stop was Zomba. I was very impressed with the trails of light coming through the tree plantations on the mountains.

Zomba plateau forest
There was a beautiful landscape. I enjoyed being very active in the mornings and planning things me and mum could do while she was asleep then going out with her and doing them. This worked well as my energy levels would balance when mum rose. We were very lucky to step into the 50th year anniversary of Haile Salaisie having visited Emporers view on the top of Zomba plateau.
Ethiopian visitors at Emporers view
 There was drumming and many rastafarians gathered from all over Malawi for the important day. This was also a great time to visit as we didn’t have to walk so far. We managed to find space in a car both up and down the plateau although we then realised we had missed the Queen of England’s arrival, Queen Elizabeth had arrived at Zomba Plateau in 1957 so they specifically named the spot Queen's view.

Mulunguzi Dam

Our next stop was Liwonde National Park. I had never been in such a peaceful place.

Liwonde National Park
We had to catch a boat to the middle of the island and we were instantly engrossed watching all the wildlife, hippos, crocodiles, impala, baboons, warthogs and hundreds of different exotic birds.  Everything sat in harmony: the wild animals grazing on the bottom level, some raised timber platforms above where we would sit lavishing on delicious food and tea.

Liwonde wildlife





Liwonde wildlife


The timber lodge huts glistened with the reflection of varnish and the elephants joined us one morning. It was unique and what seems now like pure serenity.
Elephant on our veranda, morning alarm clock

Every good time must end and from then on I explained to mum that was a treat and she musn’t compare anything to that up market place! After taking our time to see HELP school in Liwonde we crept into Cape Maclear after dark. I managed to drive into the wrong turning and the people in the village again enclosed around the car. Unlike the gulu wankulus’ it was due to lack of space on the sandy roads. We had to wait for a car to move which took about 10 minutes and I could sense mum was anxious. During these times I must reiterate there was never any problems or reasons for discomfort. It was just the chaos going on in a compacted unknown environment that seemed so dissimilar and diverse from the normal scene on a UK street. This energy among the people gives me a buzz that I want to try and hold on forever. I could tell my mum was somewhat confused with my choices in life.
Apart from the power cut on arrival everything turned smooth sailing. We rested on the famous Lake Malawi for 5 days. We were both hooked on our books and met some lovely people at Gecko lounge. After a trip to Thumbi Island, catching fish, feeding fish eagles, snorkeling and all other activities I could tell mum was more relaxed. 

Fish eagle sweeping the Cape waters


Me


Mum


Slowly we crept out of tourism and into the village behind where I often stayed with my boyfriend, Winston. He got to meet the first family member who had come out to Malawi. I could tell this was a very big event for him as he treated my mum like a queen!  It was great for reality to set and for 2 such important characters of my life to meet.  This was another type of paradise for me as happiness spread through all activities.


Winston
 Our last stop was Ntchitse Forest Lodge. It was slightly out of the way but this biodiversity girl Jess had explained this was one of the most incredible places because of the section of rainforest, the last one here in Malawi. She was right, the vague directions and unsure decisions we had to make while racing the time of sundown was worth it. As we arrived, this time just before dark, the layers of orange and misty mountains prepared me for the thick forests and views the next morning.
Ntchitse Forest
 Again I chased the orange rising of the sun at the crack of dawn and found joy climbing and dropping down the steep screes of the forests. There was a great sensation when I stepped over many unmoved tree trunks that had collapsed and stayed in their natural setting, still, where they had once fallen. Untouched.
The last rainforest in Malawi, Ntchitse
I had lived in the city full of dust but with communities of lively friendly people, but now I realised the potential and just how beautiful Malawi (what we would call) countryside really was.
Walking Ntchitse Forest
Natural Beauty
Forest colours
My highlights have got to be:
Mum’s views having spent 2 weeks in Malawi : saying Malawi people were relaxed, friendly, peaceful, laid back, resourceful and content.
Taking a photo of some guys selling African sausage on sticks, on the side of the main road coming into Lilongwe. I didn’t have any change so I knowingly gave them a larger note, their excitement and smiles made my day. And yes, they are mice.
Mum’s spontaneity going to Ntchitse Forest Lodge last minute as she did not want to stay in my boys quarters room!
Mum bringing over PG tips triangular English tea bags
And ofcourse mum managed to find a classroom with headteacher training. I could tell she was in her comfort zone once again.

M' Bangombe Headteacher training run by a Goverment official
 Thanks mum, it was a great 2 weeks and I hope you can encourage the next Rowsell rabble (as my dad would say) to come and visit.  This is Malawi, if the photos don't make you want to visit I don't know what will. (perhaps the strength of the english pound is a bonus for you all too!)












Sundown at Liwonde National Park


Beautiful baobab tree in view leaving Cape Maclear

No comments:

Post a Comment